What Makes Me Happy
Today marks this 2017's International Day of Happiness. I can get behind a day that was created to spread smiles and joy all around. I guarantee we could all use some extra happiness, no matter our personal circumstances.
Ironically, today has been terrible for me. Returning to work after a can't-get-out-of-bed-for-days case of the stomach flu...to a flooded inbox, two severe allergic reactions in just a week, and trying to focus under the influence of Benadryl at work today...well, today is far from my day.
But, after realizing today was a literal holiday and celebration of happiness, I started to tink about all the things in my life that do make me happy. While mentally listing a few things, I couldn't stop smiling. And just like that - my mood was pretty transformed.
So, in no particular order, here's a few:
- My kitty cat when he rolls around on the floor. Such a cute little derp.
- Slipping off my sandals to feel warm sand beneath my feet.
- Salty ocean air - and the way my hair curls after hopping in the ocean for a swim.
- The feeling of accomplishment and tired legs after a good run.
- Similarly, the feeling after a great yoga practice.
- Red wine and IPAs. The hoppier, the better!
- Sunrises and sunsets.
- Cliche chick flicks a la Legally Blonde, Something Borrowed, A Cinderella Story & 27 Dresses.
- Watching my friends cross race finish lines (or reaching any of their goals, really - running or not).
- Reaching the peak of a really difficult hike.
- Snail mail. It's underrated.
- Adventuring and snuggles with Nick.
- Thursday night double dinner dates.
- November Project SD.
- In n Out, Fish Tacos, gross Domino's pizza and basically any cup of coffee.
- Warm towels and sheets fresh out of the dryer. I turn into a kid who wraps herself in them.
- Finding money in an old jacket pocket or purse.
- My Corgi, Pumpkin, when she does laps around our living room at home.
- Breakfast in bed.
- Experiencing a new city.
- The smell of bonfires while camping (or on the beach in misty air).
- Fluffy hotel beds.
- When my Discover Weekly on Spotify is on point (like today!).
- Having a whole row to myself on a plane ride.
- My tattoos.
- Harry Potter.
- My favorite lipstick.
- Falling asleep to the sound of thunderstorms.
- Stomach-hurting laughter with my friends.
- Runs through 12 South & Stuart Glen in Nashville.
- Losing track of time stargazing.
- The smell of a new book.
- Long weekends.
- Chicago, in fall.
- Long nights dancing with friends.
- Any piece of clothing from Madewell.
- The color pink.
- Feeling proud when I hit my goals.
- Trader Joe's free samples.
- Street art.
- Purging my closet.
- A warm bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and banana.
- Sitting in Fido and writing.
- Forehead kisses.
- Getting my nails & hair done.
- Flipping through old photos.
- Pismo Beach.
- Getting shit done.
What makes you happy?