Whole30: Week 3
Well, today, I am officially just shy of a week away from completing the program.
Remind me again...what's Whole30 & why are you doing it?
Here are the basics: no legumes, no dairy, no grains, no added sugars, no junk food, no alcohol. Oh - and you can't look at a scale for 30 days. My main priorities for the program are: mood, energy and skin. Weight is not on my radar.
How do you feel three weeks in?
After a really rough seven days last week, I finally felt better on Week 3. I physically felt great, I thoroughly enjoyed my meals...and almond butter was tasting like a dessert?! I think it helped knowing I was officially halfway through the program, as well. The only issue? I experienced quite a bit of bloating this past week.
Have you continued to work out?
During Week 2, I maintained my regular workout schedule. But, during Week 3, I just wasn't feeling it. And...for once, I decided to respect what my body wanted. Today, I had the urge to return to my fitness routine, though, so stay tuned.
What do you miss the most?
While I felt considerably better last week, I definitely have a running list of food I miss the most, including (but not limited to!): chocolate, oatmeal, quinoa, Siggis, pizza and post-hike beer. An odd collection, I know. I'm already debating what I'll eat when I start to reintroduce ingredients again...
What have you learned so far?
I've actually learned quite a bit, but let's keep it concise. Here are the biggest things I've learned so far:
- Not all "health" food is healthy. Look at your labels! There's often so many sneaky ingredients hidden in the food we consider healthy.
- Truly healthy food is expensive. It's inaccessible for the majority of the population, and that fact has grown even more illuminated throughout the last 22 days...and I want to do something about that. Join me?
- I use food as an emotional crutch. During the last week, when I wanted to celebrate or mourn...my mind immediately shifted towards food.
- Hi, my name is Emily Torres. And I'm addicted to sugar.
- Not to toot my own horn, but I eat way healthier than I had previously imagined. The Whole30 wasn't a huge shift from my normal diet.
What did I eat during Week 3?
Here's a quick breakdown of what I ate the third week:
- Melissa's Chicken Hash
- Eggs + Potato & Spinach Hash
- Eggs + Sweet Potato + Spinach
- Coffee with Nutpod Creamer (French Vanilla)
- Coconut Milk Latte: Hot coffee blended with full-fat coconut milk, Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides & dash of cinnamon
- Salad: Romaine + Heirloom Tomatoes + Golden Beets + Red Beets + Avocado + Hardboiled Egg + Drizzle of Avocado Oil
- Chipotle Bowl: Romaine + Carnitas + Guacamole + Salsa
- Slow Cooker Chicken White Chili
- Homemade Burgers with Sweet Potato Buns + Asparagus
- Kitchen "Leftover" Bowl: Cilanto Cauliflower Rice + Chicken + Roasted Carrots + Roasted Butternut Squash + Arugula
- Steak + Shrimp + Veggies